Getting the right size of a water bottle can mean getting the right amount of water that you need throughout the day. A big water bottle can be challenging to carry and a small one can cause us to refill often. So, how big of a water bottle should you get?
How Big of a Water Bottle Should I Get?
You should get a 16-ounce water bottle, which is big enough to carry the water that you need. It is a small-sized water bottle, yet you can easily carry with you and refill it to hydrate you throughout the day. A 24-ounce size water bottle can be too big and heavy if filled with water.
A recent study published in the Mayo Clinic says that men should drink at least 3.7 liters of liquid per day, while the daily fluid intake of women should be at least 2.7 liters. Don’t worry, Hydro Cell offers different water bottle sizes to fill your water needs.
Sizes of a Water Bottle and Their Most Common Use
The size of the water bottle that you use may change depending on how mild or strenuous your activities will be. If you are very particular about the amount of water that you should have for the day, you know that you should not settle for just one type and size of water bottle for your different adventures.
Here are some size references and some sample activities where you can use them.
Small-Sized Water Bottle
- Small-sized water bottles can range from 6 to 16-ounce water capacity.
- A 6 to an 8-ounce water bottle is good for long-distance jogging or running since it is lightweight and you can hang it on your waist so you can easily drink from it.
- A 16-ounce water bottle can be refilled four to six times to cover your needs.
- It can be the best size for office use, travel, and short hikes.
- Since it is not that big, you can easily bring it with you in your bag or in your car’s cup holder.
- If you’re using a stainless type of water bottle, you can also refill it with some coffee.
Medium-Sized Water Bottle
- The medium-sized water bottle starts from 20-ounce which is a little different compared to the 16-ounce.
- It is still lightweight and can contain more liquid and requires fewer refills.
- To reach your daily liquid needs, you need to refill it up to three times only.
- If you love drinking more coffee, you can opt for this size.
- This medium-sized water bottle can be used at home, at your work, in school, on travels, and on long hikes.
Large-Sized Water Bottle
- A large-sized water bottle goes from 32 to 48 ounces.
- The advantage of a large-sized water bottle compared to the two sizes above is that you only need to refill it once. Unless you have to share it with others.
- However, since it carries half of your liquid needs for the day, it can be very heavy to carry.
- A 32 ounce of water bottle can be enough if you are doing some strenuous activities in the gym, sports, outings, or much longer hikes.
- A 40-ounce, bigger version, can be good for long road trips and if you don’t have sure access to clean water.
- A 40-ounce water bottle can also be used for camping, family trips and activities, and physical training.
How to Choose the Right Water Bottle
Aside from the size of the water bottle, you also need to consider some factors that can also affect the water that you drink and the amount that you really need to intake.
Reusable Over Disposable
Choose reusable water bottles over disposable ones which are commonly made of plastic. Reason number 1, plastic is bad for the environment and for your health as well. Reason number 2, buying water in a disposable container can cost you more than you can expect.
Consider your preference when it comes to the way that you’re bringing the bottle. If you prefer lighter bottles, then plastic might be a good choice for you. Just make sure that it is free from harmful chemicals. If you prefer a water bottle with insulation, you may opt for a stainless steel water bottle.
If you choose glass, you might always worry about it falling and breaking into pieces. Glass water bottles are heavier than plastic and stainless steel.
Check the Quality
Don’t settle for cheaper and poor-quality water bottles that may even contain hazardous chemicals or rust easily. Choose some trusted brands with durable water bottles, usually made of stainless steel, and BPA-free.
If you are going to put your water bottles inside your bag that contains your laptop, papers, and other important materials, make sure that your water bottle has no leaks. Carry just enough water that is suitable for your daily needs. Carrying just enough water keeps you from bringing too big or too heavy water bottles and avoiding leaks as well.
Easy to Use
If you are always on the go, choose a style that is simple yet elegant looking and is easy to use. Complicated water bottles usually get broken easily. Make sure that the size of the water bottle that you are getting is the same size as your cup holder.
Make sure that you wash the bottle carefully. Read the instructions if they can be put in the dishwasher or you have to wash them manually. After washing, if you have tasted something that is unusual, you should change your bottle or clean it again.
How Many 16-Ounce Water Bottles Should I Drink?
You should drink at least three to four times the content of your 16-ounce water bottle. If the water inside of it is gone, you can refill it so that you can complete your goal for the day. Generally speaking, you should drink water at least 8 glasses per day which is equivalent to four 16 ounces.
Is a 32-Ounce Water Bottle Too Big?
A 32-ounce water bottle is not too big. Though it is not as lightweight as a small-sized water bottle, it is not as heavier as a large water bottle.
The normal size of a water bottle is medium-size just like 16 to 24 ounces. The size of the water bottle that you should get should be based on your gender, your activities for that particular day, and your preferences. Choose the right size and shape for you to avoid bringing a super heavy water bottle.