Glass and stainless steel water bottles are both considered safe to use for drinking. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. Nevertheless, there is always one material that is better than the other. So, is glass or stainless steel better for a water bottle? Let’s find out!
Is Glass or Stainless Steel Better for a Water Bottle?
Stainless steel is better than glass for a water bottle when it comes to durability, insulation, and resistance to high impact. A stainless steel bottle can keep your water cold or hot for longer hours, while glass cannot. However, both of them can keep your drinks free from chemicals.
Both glass and stainless steel bottles are non-corrosive, BPA-free, and leach-proof. These materials are known to be recyclable, therefore, causing no harm to the environment. However; they are both more expensive than plastic bottles because of the materials used in them.
Pros and Cons of Stainless Steel
Stainless steel bottles are very in-demand nowadays because of their many advantages compared to other drinking bottles. They are preferred by many athletes, office workers, and casual gym-goers because of their stylish and modern look.
Hydro Cell is an example of stainless steel bottles made of high-grade materials that ensure your safety in every sip. They have a tight vacuum seal that can keep your water cold for about 12 hours and your coffee hot for up to 8 hours.
- Stainless steel has a longer shelf-life than other materials.
- Even when exposed to direct sunlight, stainless steel does not leach any toxic chemicals into your water. It also prevents the overgrowth of bacteria and mold because it is non-porous.
- Condensation or sweating is not a problem with stainless steel bottles because they usually feature double-wall insulation.
- Stainless steel is 100% recyclable. Stainless steel water bottles can be used for up to 12 years before showing any significant dents or scratches.
- Usually, stainless steel bottles are not dishwasher-safe and you can only wash them by hand.
- Stainless steel bottles are often more expensive than plastic and some glass bottles because of the production cost and the materials used in them. However; you’ll need fewer stainless steel bottles.
- Some stainless steel manufacturers can produce a high level of carbon during production which can affect the atmosphere.
Pros and Cons of Glass
Glass bottles are considered some of the safest bottles to drink from. Similar to stainless steel, they have their own advantages and disadvantages.
- Glass keeps the taste of your water in its pure form. It does not have any metal parts. It can save you from any metallic taste.
- Glass does not leach any chemicals into your water as well. It does not require any lining which makes it safer than other water bottles such as aluminum.
- Glass bottles can be washed in the dishwasher. High-quality glass bottles will not undergo any wear and tear. Yet they can be easily broken if you accidentally drop them.
- Glass is highly sustainable. Although it is expensive, if you use it carefully, you can use it for many years.
- Glass bottles do not have any insulation so they cannot keep the temperature of your drinks for hours, as opposed to stainless steel bottles.
- Glass is easily breakable which gives it a shorter lifespan than stainless steel.
- Some public places do not allow glassware.
- Glass can be heavier than a stainless steel water bottle with or without content.
What About Plastic Water Bottles?
Granted, plastic is lightweight, durable, and extremely cheap. That’s why it’s one of the most used materials for water bottles. However, plastic can transfer not only a certain taste or odor to your water when you drink, but it can also leach harmful chemicals that end up in your body
More importantly, even if you wash and reuse plastic bottles, you’re still contributing to the ever growing single-use plastic litter that’s harmful to the environment. Single-use plastics are an important factor in driving climate change and plastic water bottles are one of the largest contributors to these litter issues.
Finally, plastic is not a good material when it comes to keeping water (or any other drink) hot or cold for a long time, usually, because these water bottles are not insulated.
Can Glass Be Toxic?
Yes. Glass can be toxic if it contains high levels of cadmium and lead. These elements have been detected in some water bottles, wine glasses, food jars, tumblers, and beer bottles. Choose glass bottles that are made of food-grade materials to avoid toxic chemicals.
Can You Get Sick From Your Water Bottle?
Yes. You can get sick from your water bottle if it is unwashed properly because it can be the perfect place for bacteria to grow. Also, a low-quality water bottle can make you sick because of the harmful chemicals used in it. It may result in nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Do Stainless Steel Water Bottles Taste Like Metal?
Some stainless steel water bottles that are made of low-grade steel alloy may cause your water to taste like metal. Leaching can also be the cause of the metallic taste in your water. The metallic taste of the water bottle can be gone after washing it with warm soapy water.
To sum up, stainless steel is a far better material than glass for a water bottle. Glass may have advantages, but stainless steel is more durable, does not leach any harmful substances, and it can even keep your drink at your desired temperature for hours.