All water bottles may just look the same and may serve their purpose: to keep you hydrated. However, some water bottles have wide mouths while others don’t. Is there a reason behind this? Why do water bottles have wide mouths?
Why Do Water Bottles Have Wide Mouths?
Water bottles have wide mouths to make it easier to clean the inside and effectively remove stains and even germs. A wide mouth water bottle makes it easier for you to transfer and collect liquids from different sources and can make stirring and mixing substances easier.
If you can't wash your water bottle in a dishwasher, you can easily insert a sponge or a brush to clean it if it has a wide mouth. A wide mouth also guarantees you’ll enjoy a constant flow of water as if you’re drinking from an open glass.
A wide mouth water bottle makes it easier for you to refill your bottle or share a drink. If you are outdoors, and you have a filter, you can easily use your wide mouth water bottle to collect some water from a natural resource.
Benefits of a Wide Mouth Water Bottle
A wide mouth water bottle is highly sustainable and reusable because of the high-grade materials used in it. Hydro Cell even offers a lid with a built-in straw to make your wide mouth water bottle more versatile and safe against any spills.
Switching to a reusable straw is an important change to reduce your footprint and single-use plastic litter on the world.
A big wide mouth water bottle can also save you from a lot of refills throughout the day. You can fill it with the water that you need and take it with you whether you’re at a gym workout or sports training, with the same temperature.
Narrow vs Wide Mouth Water Bottle
A narrow-mouth water bottle can have a cap diameter of at least 1.5 inches. It can be an inch smaller than a wide mouth water bottle. Let’s take a look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of a narrow-mouth from a wide mouth water bottle.
- Since the opening of the narrow-mouth water bottle is not too big, there are fewer chances it will spill on your face, chest, or clothes. You can even continue walking while drinking because you can easily control the amount of water that will come out of it.
- While some narrow-mouth water bottles allow ice cubes to be inserted inside, it’s generally easier to do this with wide mouth water bottles.
- You can insert some filters inside a wide mouth water bottle. It is highly compatible with almost all water filters. These filters will allow you to refill your water bottle in a stream.
- To prevent splashing on your face, you can use a sports cap or straw in a wide mouth water bottle.
- Wide mouth water bottles can be refilled easily even if you are outdoors. It is also easier to air dry to prevent mold and bacteria buildup.
- Wide mouth water bottles are better for longer trips and longer outdoor activities.
Standard vs Wide Mouth Water Bottle
Another size of a water bottle’s mouth is the standard one. It is only half an inch smaller than a wide mouth water bottle, which is not a very huge difference. The size of the mouth of a wide mouth water bottle ranges from 2.3 to 3 inches, while standard mouth water bottles can only be 1.9 to 2 inches wide.
Nevertheless, there are still some advantages and disadvantages between a standard mouth and a wide mouth water bottle. Let’s take a look at the list below.
- A standard mouth water bottle does not cover your nose when drinking. It will only reach the area below your nose or the beginning of your nostrils.
- Most cup holders, even in cars, only accommodate the standard size or standard mouth water bottles.
- Some standard mouth water bottles have a flat top metal opening. You will feel as if there is nothing but water on your lips while drinking.
- Some standard mouth water bottles can hold the ice longer in a solid form. This is because there is less warm air that is trapped inside the water bottle even if you have opened it.
- Generally, water bottles with wide mouths are more compatible with many other styles of lids, like flex caps, lids with straw, and screw caps, compared to a standard mouth water bottle. These lids can be good for different kinds of drinks and different types of activities.
Are There Any Downsides With A Wide Mouth Water Bottle?
Cheap wide mouth water bottles can cause a lot of spilling. So if you are going to let a child use it, make sure to change the lid into a smaller and tighter one. The body can also be so big for them to hold on tight to and can be a bit heavier.
The solution is to get a good handle to prevent dropping and damaging your stainless steel water bottle. You can get leak-proof lids for wide mouth water bottles as well. By using these lids, you don’t have to worry about losing most of your water instead of drinking it.
Because of its wide opening, warm air or cold air can easily enter and alter the temperature of your drink. Ice can also melt faster in a wide mouth water bottle if they don’t have good isolation.
Is a Wide Mouth Water Bottle Leak-Proof?
A wide mouth water bottle can be leak-proof depending on the lid that you used. You can also ensure that there will be no leaks if you close it properly.
What Is the Best Lid for a Wide Mouth Water Bottle?
The best type of lid for a wide mouth water bottle is a screw-type lid. It ensures that the lid will not fall once you tilt your water bottle. If you have several lids, you can change them depending on your activity for the day.
Generally, water bottles have wide mouths to make cleaning easier and more effective. Having a wide mouth water bottle can also make it easier for you to refill it even if you are outdoors. On the downside, if they don’t have good insulation, wide mouth water bottles can allow the change in the temperature of your drink faster.