The rise in the use of plastic bottles created problems affecting the environment, marine life, and human health. We're listing the several benefits of reusable water bottles for you to know how your conscious effort to make the switch can have long-term gains for yourself and the world.
Benefits of Reusable Water Bottles
Reusable water bottles can minimize environmental pollution by taking less oil to produce. Consequently, they reduce carbon footprint and plastic burden on landfills, protecting marine life. Having a personal drinking bottle lets you promote healthy living, save on water costs, and enjoy the features and convenience of durable containers.
As you become more conscious of the environmental impacts of single-use plastic, it would be easier to ditch plastic bottles. One way to fight the battle is to use reusable water bottles and help achieve these benefits.
Minimize Environmental Pollution
Among the main benefits of reusable water bottles is that you can contribute to reducing plastic waste. Due to the resistant properties of reusable water bottles, you can use them for several years to store liquids, letting you make a difference in reducing waste.
- Cut down on oil usage: The United States uses over 17 million barrels of oil to produce more than 50 million plastic water bottles yearly. If we cut down plastic bottle usage by 50 million, that amount of oil can power 190,000 houses or fuel 1.3 million cars for a whole year.
- Decrease carbon dioxide released into the atmosphere: The production of plastic bottles releases 2.5 million tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere annually. An extreme amount of carbon dioxide can heat the earth quickly. When you use reusable water bottles, you can help slow down this process.
- Reduce landfill waste: Since the mass production of plastic in the 1950s, 60% of the total produced ended up as garbage. Plastic takes hundreds of years to decompose, causing 38 billion bottles to pile at landfills every year. Shifting to reusable bottles can contribute to the solution.
Protect Marine Life
About 100,000 marine mammals like whales and seals die per year due to plastic waste. Among the leading causes of death is inflammation of their abdominal tissues because of indigestible plastic. Some animals mistake plastic for food, so even a plastic cap unconsciously thrown out can kill an animal.
This is why it's vital that you recycle whatever you can, and that includes drinking bottles. Even when you're not using a tumbler for drinking anymore, there are different ways you can repurpose drinking bottles because of their durable stainless steel materials.
In addition, there are reusable bottles that include a sports cap with a straw, so you won't have to throw away straw each time you drink.
Promote Healthy Living
Water is an essential element for humans to survive. It hydrates the body to deliver oxygen to the brain, regulate temperature, transport nutrients, aid digestion, and flush out waste.
However, toxins from plastic may quickly leach into hot water. When you pour hot tea or coffee into a plastic water bottle, you may prompt an infusion of toxic byproducts.
Studies show long-term advantages of reusable bottles for people's health. Besides, you can disinfect reusable water bottles, ensuring your drink is free from bacteria and mold.
- Save the body from toxic chemicals: Despite water coming from pristine aquifers and going through high-end filters, the water can still absorb chemicals from plastics. Single-use plastics may contain Bisphenol A or BPA, an endocrine disruptor that may affect human reproductive systems. Hydro Cell bottles are BPA-free, saving your body from polymers and other synthetic compounds.
- Prevent microplastics from entering the body: An analysis of 259 bottles in 9 countries shows that 93% of bottled water contains microplastics. These plastic particles can enter the body's protective tissues, blood, and organs. While microplastic is evident in soil and water, using reusable bottles can minimize the risk of microplastic contamination.
- Enjoy infused water: With or without an infuser, you can put fresh fruits or herbs in a reusable water bottle to increase nutritional benefits and add flavor.
Quick Way to Monitor Water Intake
Another advantage of using a reusable water bottle is that it can help monitor daily consumption, especially since you need water to help you gain muscle. What's more, the right size can prevent the body from dehydrating.
Like Hydro Cell bottles, they often come in large quantities like 32 ounces or 64 ounces, so you can bring large volumes of water anywhere you go. If you aim to drink 125 ounces of water per day, it would only take you 8-9 times to refill a 14-ounce bottle.
More than that, using your own bottle gives you complete control over the water source. You can use tap water or filtered water if you have a filtering system.
Convenience in Storing Liquids
Another reason to use reusable water bottles is that they carry any drink or liquid you want on the go. They come in various sizes, making them fit in different bag sizes.
- Temperature control: A vacuum-insulated bottle like Hydro Cell will keep cold drinks ice cold for 24 hours or fresh coffee piping hot for up to 12 hours. In contrast, water in plastic bottles would lose its coldness a few minutes after you take them out of the refrigerator.
- Prevent condensation and leaking: The insulation ensures no condensation will dampen your hand or stuff. Since some tumblers consist of stainless steel, you won't have to worry about it breaking or bending in your bag, leaking all over your things.
There are even various ways you can carry bottles while hiking. As long as you properly care for and wash your tumblers, a reusable water bottle will be a lasting investment for your daily convenience.
Save on Water Costs
The average American buys 167 disposable plastic water bottles annually, roughly costing $500 to $830. In a decade, you can save $5,000 to $8,300 when you use a reusable bottle.
Furthermore, the average price for a gallon of bottled water costs $1.22, which means you may end up spending as much as 300 times on the cost of tap water.
Versatility in Features and Designs
While aesthetics may not be on top of your mind, style can motivate you to continue using a reusable bottle.
- Choose a design: Reusable water bottles come in unique prints, a vast range of color combinations, and even finishes. They look more presentable than a transparent bottle with a flimsy label.
- Personalize bottles: On a lighter note, reusable bottles allow you to show your personality and lifestyle. You can customize bottles by adding designs, labels, and stickers. In this way, you can avoid losing your bottle, especially when bringing it outdoors.
- Get functional features: Unlike typical plastic bottles, reusable tumblers offer more features and accessories. Some include paracords for holding them easily, while others have protective boots to prevent scratches and dents. You can also use a carabiner to attach the bottle to your bag or belt.
May these benefits of reusable water bottles encourage you to continue using your own drinking bottle. Hopefully, these can help invite your friends and family to make the switch. Whether it's for environmental care, health, savings, or convenience, the benefits of using reusable water bottles can impact the whole world.